Monday, August 17, 2009

emma's first time to zoo

I have never been a fan of zoos, in fact I hate them. They bring tears to my eyes, however on Saturday we took Emma to her first Zoo adventure. I figured it would be a nice family day, exploring Park Slope and Prospect Park. I can understand the necessity of some zoos, like the San Diego and DC zoo where they genuinely work towards saving and rehabilitating endangered species...but...this one was, let's just say , a wee ghetto and it validated my stance on the cruelty of zoos. One of the highlights, however, was these 2 Mexican boys who were slightly ahead of us. Each time they arrived at a new station the oldest son would tell his mom " i don't see any here either". It seemed that each station we arrived at it became a game of 'Wheres Waldo' with animals... that and it was unbearably hot that day. So by the time we got to what appeared like dioramas for live animals, Emma could finally see the animals up close and she squealed with delight. She loved the monkeys best, and the birds, really any thing that moved and had fur just had her in stiches. When we got to the petting zoo she was a little off put by the size of the animals. She was especially cautious with the four horned sheep. It seems she is only comfortable with animals her own size. So she got to pet her first sheep. It seemed she had fun and it really turned out to be a magical day. Stay tuned for her carousel adventure and the beauty of fireflies.

wha wha, come on in..

She did like the seal act.

ok, it is hot, can we go now?

let me push my stroller, ima big girl.



yep, i'm an ol' cowhand

whatchya lookin' at...you want my mum mum?

I will beat you at the stare down.

mmm, time for my lunch break.

so, um..where are the animals?

i'm too cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment