Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Book of the week, Chicken Thief

I am a fan of wordless books and the Chicken Thief by Beatrice Rodriguez does not disappoint. Playing with our expectations that all foxes and chicken are natural born enemies, Rodriguez creates a fast pace tale that involves a kidnap, a great chase scene and a surprise ending. A rabbit, a bear and rooster are on a hot pursuit as they try and rescue their chicken friend from the fox. What I also love about this book is its panoramic format that I feel heightens the sense of a long and exhausting chase.
The story is so visually engaging and the illustrations are so animated that you will never once find the need for printed text. The best part are all the subtle details that give way to an endless possibility of outcomes that can be read over and over. The ending made my heart melt and I guarantee this book will delight both the parent and child.

No comments:

Post a Comment