Thursday, December 16, 2010

sa, sa, snowmen


Emma is obsessed with snowmen. She is totally loving her new book, The Snowman and read it back to back last night. I think it is a great book, especially for the non readers. It reads as if you were looking at film stills and each window is a story in itself. She was taking her time looking at each vignette and adding her own sound effects. I'm so happy she hasn't picked up on how it ends. I must warn you parents that the ending is a little too honest, but since there is no text you can totally create your own ending, making it less severe.

There is something quite unique about snowmen that I never really bothered to think about. They clearly have an ephemeral quality that is both melancholic and beautiful. Even though you watch them slowly fade away there is the hope of seeing them once more year after year. I know Emma doesn't get this about snowmen, but she adores them. She loves their hats and scarves and how they say "ho ho ho"- (I know they don't). I was happy to have found a great beanie stuffed snowman yesterday and the two great books I have mentioned before. I have my snowman cookie cutter ready to go this weekend and even found a great snowman coloring book. This leads me to this post of other fabulous, non traditional snowmen crafts that you all can make in minutes. I'm totally loving these cookies by Crazy Domestic. I'm not going to make them this year because I don't want to explain to Emma why they are "broke". I know Emma is going to have a wicked sense of humor but I'm willing to hold it off for another year.

image via crazy domestic, recipe included-super easy to make


image via Martha Stewart


yarn snowmen, so easy. image via spidatter


image via very heatherly. You can do this in the morning, before you go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment