Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dec 28 book of the week


I am so happy to be back on line and able to spread the joy of some truly wonderful children’s books. While I was in Tampa I picked up some really nice books and was reminded of others I had forgotten about. I am pretty much set with picks for at least half of the year. When I saw this book I knew it would be a pick and had it not been for lack of internet access I would have written about it two weeks ago. So here goes, I will be talking about three books today to make up for my absence. For Tuesday, Dec 28 I will talk about Up and Down by Oliver Jeffers. Jeffers is one of my favorite children's book writers and illustrators. He just has a certain sensibility and his illustrations are quite unique and distinctive. As I mentioned before his first book How to Catch a Star is one of my all time favorites! His second book Lost and Found is about the friendship between a boy and a penguin who shows up at his doorstep. Up and Down is a continuation of said friendship and is just as delightful. In this installment the penguin is determined to fly, as he does have wings. His friend helps him on his quest to reach new heights, only to fall short time after time. It isn’t until the penguin sees a sign for a cannon ball act that the adventure really begins and the meaning of true friendship shines through. I must say that Emma has yet to see any of Jeffers' books as they are all first editions and I am such a nerd with collecting books.I cannot tell you it that it has been given the ninja stamp of approval but these books are great for the parents who love illustration and stories with heart and charm. You cannot go wrong with his books, just be forewarned that his second to last book, The Heart and the Bottle though a children's book, might be a little too adult for some children as it touches on the subject of loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment