Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Books I love Tuesday

Today I want to talk about books whose illustrations I love. Now I’m sure it has become quite evident how much I love children’s books and how pretty much any book I mention is loved for not only their genuine story, but also their wonderful illustrations. That being said, the following five books are here because of their ingenuity and ability to convey a sense of tenderness.


The Other Side by Istvan Banyai is a difficult book to explain yet so easy to understand. It is visually stunning and extremely clever even though there are no words in this book. As you flip through the pages you are taken on a fun ride that will have going back to see exactly what happened and how you arrived to the other side



The Book of Sleep by Il Sung Na, is a sweet book that presents different animals sleeping in various manners, all under the watchful eye of an owl. An added layer to this book is how this owl is hidden in each page thus making it fun for kids to try and find him. It is told in gentle voice and makes for a perfect bed time book.




The Quiet Book, written by Deborah Underwood and illustrated by Renata Liwska, is just that, a quiet book that explores the different types of quiet there are. I must say this is one of my favorite new books of this year. Having had a harried morning myself today, I realize I don’t have a lot of quiet time or even find the time to enjoy the small nuances in life. This book does a masterful job of capturing said moments and its beauty rests solely on the heartfelt illustrations of Renata Liwska. She draws these little fur creatures with such delicacy and vulnerability that I just want to hug each one of them. I had to attach a lot of images because i think they are just so lovely.








The Secret Circus by is another comforting book written by Johanna Wright. It tells the simple tale of an underground world thriving under the night lights of Paris. Children love stories of hidden worlds and unseen passages and this book will not disappoint as children watch how mice attend a secret circus where there are cat tamers and acrobatic mice.


If there were a way to frame the pages of Bunny Days, by Tao Nyeu, I would do so. This book tells three stories of mishap prone bunnies and their savior bear. Each story is no more than 8 sentences long and the glorious illustrations help narrate along the misadventures of these bunnies. Each story is illustrated in a somewhat monochromatic hue. Her first book Wonder Bear is also a joy to look at but I prefer the humorous story being told in Bunny Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment