Tuesday, November 30, 2010

pop-up Tuesday


This week’s post will be slightly different as it is hard to list 5 favorite pop-up books. I really want to talk about the artists whose books you just can’t go wrong. I am sure a lot of you are familiar with Robert Sabuda, the god of pop-up books.

I first discovered him when I was working at Inkwood books back home in Tampa. He had just come out with his Alice in Wonderland book and to this day I feel it is his and THE best pop-up book.

His Wizard of Oz book is equally amazing but I just heart Alice. In time for the Holiday, Sabuda also has several amazing Christmas pop-up books, A Winter’s Tale, 12 Days of Christmas, The Night Before Christmas and Christmas Alphabet to name a few . Children all ages will enjoy these, just be sure that if the child is under 6, to not leave them unattended with the book.

His partner Matthew Reinhart also makes extraordinary pop-up books, and they have collaborated on several books with Encyclopedia Prehistorica Dinosaurs: The Definitive Pop-Up being the one I feel you should start your children’s library with. Little boys and girls will go gaga over this book that is both factual and a visual fest.

David Pelham also has ingenious pop ups and I picked up two of his Applebee Cat pop-up books while I was in Mexico. His opposites and counting book are so creative and the attention to detail will not be missed on little kids. He also has shapes, colors and alphabets in this series.


I know I mentioned the Little Prince last week, but he gets to be mentioned again, this time in a pop-up versions. Last year they came out with a pop up Little Prince book that is simply a wonder to look at and read.

Finally ABC3D by Marion Bataille is a simple yet striking ABC book. I have mentioned my soft spot for alphabet books and posters and this one came into my collection about 3 years ago. It was a gift and I love, love, love it. It’s color scheme doesn’t stray from black, white and red and is so imaginative that lovers of graphic design shall swoon as each letter unfolds before their eyes.

So there you have my kind of top list of pop-up books.

No comments:

Post a Comment